The Leader of the Pack Program recognizes students who make outstanding contributions to NC State in the areas of leadership, scholarship and community service. Finalists for the honor are selected based on a combination of written essays on their leadership and service experience, co-curricular involvement, a personal interview, grade point average, and a student-body vote. The Leader of the Pack finalists will be recognized at the Homecoming football game on Saturday, November 9, 2019. The Leader of the Pack scholarship recipient will receive a $3,000 scholarship and a class ring.
- Completed two semesters at NC State at the time of application
- Enrolled as an undergraduate student at NC State
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Free from academic integrity probation and any previous or current disciplinary probation
- Participate in the Homecoming Parade/Pep Rally
- Receive three tickets and Parking Pass to the NC State vs. Clemson University football game
- Be recognized at half-time and attend the Chancellor’s reception during the Homecoming Football Game
Applications open again in fall 2020
- September 30, 2019
- Applications close for Leader of the Pack.
- October 2, 2019
- Applicants are contacted by the director of Leadership and Civic Engagement.
- Early to mid October
- Applications are reviewed by selection committee and semi-finalists are selected
- Mid October
- Semi-finalists conduct interviews and finalists are selected from in review of interview process. Finalists are announced on Leadership and Civic Engagement website.
- Late October
- Finalists are updated on plan for the voting portion, Red and White Parade, Homecoming game-day, and the scholarship recipient during halftime at Homecoming game.
- Friday, November 8
- Finalists participate in Red and White Week Parade
- Saturday, November 9
- Finalists attend Homecoming football game at Carter-Finley Stadium, are recognized during halftime, and the Leader of the Pack scholarship recipient is announced.
- Grade point average
- Demonstrated leadership in co-curricular and community engagement activities, which will be assessed through a series of essay questions to be evaluated by NC State faculty, staff, and students
- Based on a pre-determined application scoring process, the applicant pool will be narrowed to 12 semi-finalists
- A panel comprised of university faculty, administrators, and student leaders will interview each of the semi-finalists and select six finalists
- The six finalists will be posted online and voted on by the student body
- The total number of votes from the student body and scores from the interview and application processes, will determine the student who will be designated ‘The Leader of the Pack’
- Part One – Complete demographic information section
- Part Two – Two 200-word essays
- Part Three – One 750-word critical reflection
- Part Four – Biographical statement
- Consent to a check of academic standing and judicial standing from the appropriate university offices.
- Please submit your completed application by 11:59 p.m. on Monday, September 30, 2019 (late applications will NOT be accepted)
- Fall 2018 – Malasia Mcclendon
- Fall 2017 – Victor Eduardo
- Fall 2016 – Kati Scruggs
- Fall 2015 – Mikayla Raleigh
- Fall 2014 – Ashley Eli
- Fall 2013 – Austin Bath
- Fall 2012 – Rusty Mau
- Fall 2011 – Alan Sheridan & Michelle Philllips
- Fall 2010 – Sam Dennis & Chandler Thompson
- Fall 2009 – Taylor Massey & Nicole Machado-Alvarez
- Fall 2008 – Elise Bullard & Matthew Avery
- Fall 2007 – Anna Patton & Nicholas Schultz
- Fall 2006 – Paul Carruth & Casey Coats
- Fall 2005 – Nancy Zagbayou & Mark A. Clapp
- Fall 2004 – Erin Welch & Robby Moorefield
- Fall 2003 – Sarah King & Mital Patel
- Fall 2002 – Andrea Hernandez & Tony Caravano
Please email LeaderOfThePack@ncsu.edu with any questions!