Applications for the 2019 Institute are open – Apply now!
The priority deadline was March 27, but we are accepting applications on a rolling basis. Remaining seats will be filled by the earliest received applications from qualified students.
The LeaderShape Institute has developed a national reputation as a premier leadership development program for young adults. The LeaderShape Institute is an intensive and energizing six-day program open to any participant, institution, or workplace interested in producing extraordinary results in an organization and developing a commitment to lead with a high level of integrity.
- NC State has been hosting an annual campus-based session of the LeaderShape Institute since 2004.
- The 2019 session is Tuesday, May 14th through Sunday, May 19th, 2019.
- 60 NC State students (undergraduate & graduate) are selected and are accompanied by 10 Faculty, Staff and Student Staff serving in a variety of leadership team roles.
- Participants’ travel (from a meeting place at NC State), lodging (group cabins) and meals are all provided for the entire week. The 2019 session will take place at the Eastern 4-H Center in Columbia, NC.
The Mission of LeaderShape, Inc.
To transform the world by increasing the number of people who lead with integrity™ and a healthy disregard for the impossible.
The Vision of LeaderShape, Inc.
A just, caring, and thriving world where all lead with integrity™ and a healthy disregard for the impossible.
What Students Gain?
- Transformational leadership skills – their capacity to build authentic relationships, inspire peers, adhere to broad ethical standards, and create sustainable change
- Increased commitment and motivation to advocate for issues of social justice and social responsibility
- Confidence in their ability to identify their own strengths and weaknesses
- Confidence in their ability to become student leaders on campus and a commitment to become more engaged at NC State
- More clearly defined long term and short term goals
- Confidence in their ability to develop relationships with others who are different than them
- Confidence in their ability to create a vision or ideal future for their community or organization
- “It helped me define my passions and create tangible goals.”
- “LeaderShape connected me with an awesome group of other leader and taught me to break through stereotype barriers”
- “Our activities helped me realize who I am right now and what I can do to change myself for the better.”
- “LeaderShape taught me, most importantly, how to communicate effectively even when I disagree with someone else.”
- “I gained perspectives I’ve never been exposed to and a better understanding of myself and my values.”
- “I gained confidence in myself as a leader and a whole toolbox of skills to improve my leadership, personal conduct, communication, and ability to build relationships.”
Applying for the LeaderShape Institute
- Applications for the 2019 Institute are open – Apply now!
- The priority deadline was March 27, but we are accepting applications on a rolling basis. Remaining seats will be filled by the earliest received applications from qualified students.
- In order to attend the May LeaderShape Institute, you must be returning to NC State either for summer session or for fall semester, either as an undergraduate or a graduate student. If you graduate in May prior to the Institute, you are not eligible to attend.
- To be accepted, students must be in good conduct standing with the university.
- The Institute dates may overlap with summer session class dates. Students enrolled in these summer semesters are not able to attend the Institute.
- Selected participants will be required to attend an information session in April.
- Those selected are asked to confirm their attendance in writing. This program is offered at no cost to students, but participants who confirm and do not attend are assessed a fee to cover the cost of their participation (approximately $1000).
- Participants are chosen randomly, however, should any spots open they are filled from our wait list which is listed by date of application. Only fully completed applications will be considered.
- Requests for reasonable accommodations can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
2019 Institute Sponsors
This life-changing leadership opportunity is offered to students at no cost. The cost of meals, lodging, transportation, and curriculum materials are supported by the generous contributions made by campus partners. A big thank you to our 2019 sponsors:
- Leadership and Civic Engagement
- Campus Enterprises
- College of Engineering
- Global Training Initiative
- Wellness and Recreation
- University Housing
- Inter-Residence Council (IRC)
- Poole College of Management
- College of Natural Resources
- GLBT Center
- University Activities Board (UAB)
- Interfraternity Council (IFC)
- Women’s Center
- Multicultural Student Affairs
- Fraternity and Sorority Life
Who is the Institute for?
The curriculum was created for individuals who are committed to taking their leadership to the next level and who want to make a significant impact on campus, in their communities, and in the world.
How will we spend our time during the Institute?
Everything in the curriculum is anchored to four themes: community, inclusivity, integrity, and vision. Therefore the work that we do during the six days is tied, in some way, to these concepts.
We participate in large group activities, in small group exercises, in conversation with one another, and in personal reflection. We set out to discover our most deeply held values and greatest passions and how they can come together to give our lives and work purpose. We learn how developing a vision and plan of action can create lasting change. We reflect on how our personal styles and life experiences influence our leadership and our relationships. Those who graduate from the Institute™ leave as an agent of positive change in the world.
How is the Institute different from other conferences and residential programs?
Everyone who attends the Institute™ engages in the same activities and contributes to the same conversations. While the involvement of the individual is honored and expected, everything during the Institute™ is approached with a sense of community. Everyone is viewed as a learner and as a teacher. This belief is evident as the community is created through the contributions of everyone at the Institute, with time spent in meaningful conversation serving as its foundation.
Unlike conferences, participants don’t only leave the six days with a few tips and ideas. Graduates of the Institute™ experience a breakthrough in their leadership capacity.
Why six days?
Six days is a lot of time to give – and we ask that time of participants because we see such value in the extended time together. Six days allows us to remove ourselves from the day-to-day demands of life and focus more intently on discovering who we want to be. It gives us the chance us to move beyond the masks of our composure and embrace the opportunity to share our authentic selves. Six days for a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Six days to make the experience your own.