The LeaderShape Institute
The 2020 Institute, is partnership with UNC-Chape Hill, will take place March 7th to 12th, 2020 in Black Mountain, NC.
For questions, comments, and concerns, reach us via email at email@example.com
The LeaderShape Institute has developed a national reputation as a premier leadership development program for young adults. The LeaderShape Institute is an intensive and energizing six-day program open to any participant, institution, or workplace interested in producing extraordinary results in an organization and developing a commitment to lead with a high level of integrity.
- NC State has been hosting an annual campus-based session of the LeaderShape Institute since 2004.
- The 2020 session will take place Saturday, March 7th to Thursday, March 12th. This year’s Institute will be a joint session with UNC Chapel Hill, so students will have the opportunity to learn with NC State and UNC-CH students.
- 60 NC State students (undergraduate & graduate) are selected and are accompanied by 10 Faculty, Staff and Student Staff serving in a variety of leadership team roles. This year NC State will select 30 students and UNC-CH will select 30 students for a total of 60 participants.
- Participants’ travel (from a meeting place at NC State), lodging (group cabins) and meals are all provided for the entire week. The 2020 session is planned to take place at the YMCA Blue Ridge Assembly in Black Mountain, NC.
To transform the world by increasing the number of people who lead with integrity™ and a healthy disregard for the impossible.
A just, caring, and thriving world where all lead with integrity™ and a healthy disregard for the impossible.
What Students Gain?
- Transformational leadership skills – their capacity to build authentic relationships, inspire peers, adhere to broad ethical standards, and create sustainable change
- Increased commitment and motivation to advocate for issues of social justice and social responsibility
- Confidence in their ability to identify their own strengths and weaknesses
- Confidence in their ability to become student leaders on campus and a commitment to become more engaged at NC State
- More clearly defined long term and short term goals
- Confidence in their ability to develop relationships with others who are different than them
- Confidence in their ability to create a vision or ideal future for their community or organization
Applying for the LeaderShape Institute
- Applications are closed for the 2020 session.
- To be accepted, students must be in good conduct standing with the university.
- Selected participants are required to attend an information session and are asked to confirm their attendance in writing. This program is offered at no cost to students, but participants who confirm and do not attend are assessed a fee to cover a portion of the cost of their participation (approximately $1000).
- After participants are chosen, should any additional spots open, they are filled from our wait list which is listed by date of application. Only fully completed applications will be considered.
- Requests for reasonable accommodations can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
The curriculum was created for individuals who are committed to taking their leadership to the next level and who want to make a significant impact on campus, in their communities, and in the world. NC State’s session is open to all active students – undergraduate, graduate, and post docs. When a session takes place at the end of the semester (ex. May), we require that students must be returning to NC State the semesters following the Institute.
Everything in the curriculum is anchored to four themes: community, inclusivity, integrity, and vision. Therefore the work that we do during the six days is tied, in some way, to these concepts. Example schedules will be provided at orientation. Plan for full schedules (8:30a-10:00pm).
We participate in large group activities, in small group exercises, in conversation with one another, and in personal reflection. We set out to discover our most deeply held values and greatest passions and how they can come together to give our lives and work purpose. We learn how developing a vision and plan of action can create lasting change. We reflect on how our personal styles and life experiences influence our leadership and our relationships. Those who graduate from the Institute™ leave as an agent of positive change in the world.
Everyone who attends the Institute™ engages in the same activities and contributes to the same conversations. While the involvement of the individual is honored and expected, everything during the Institute™ is approached with a sense of community. Everyone is viewed as a learner and as a teacher. This belief is evident as the community is created through the contributions of everyone at the Institute, with time spent in meaningful conversation serving as its foundation.
Unlike conferences, participants don’t only leave the six days with a few tips and ideas. Graduates of the Institute™ experience a breakthrough in their leadership capacity.
Six days is a lot of time to give – and we ask that time of participants because we see such value in the extended time together. Six days allows us to remove ourselves from the day-to-day demands of life and focus more intently on discovering who we want to be. It gives us the chance us to move beyond the masks of our composure and embrace the opportunity to share our authentic selves. Six days for a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Six days to make the experience your own.