How do I apply for an Alternative Service Break trip?

Decide which trip you would like to go on by going to info sessions, meeting with the leaders and reading about them on the current trips section of this website. Apply on the online application system and rank your preferences.

Who is eligible to go on an Alternative Break trip?

Currently enrolled North Carolina State University students, both undergraduate and graduate part-time and full time degree seeking students

Can I get credit for Alternative Break and how?

Currently, only our two health related trips to Guatemala and Ecuador offer 1 credit for service-learning experience.

Will I miss days of class?

Some of our teams leave that Friday before Spring Break. It is the responsibility of the student to work with faculty members for any missed class, tests, or assignments. A letter to verify participation in this service-learning experience will be provided should your trip be leaving on that Friday before Spring Break.

How much does it cost?

Cost depends on the distance and length of time of the trip. Domestic trips cost around $350 – $950, Latin/Central America $1400 – $2200, Asia and Africa $3000 – $4,000. Trip prices include group airfare, food, lodging, and all activities. Not included are visa and immunization costs.

What happens if I am not able to go on the trip after I have signed the trip agreement?

Leadership and Civic Engagement does everything possible to keep trips at the lowest cost possible. Part of this process includes securing certain travel logistics early in the process such as flight and lodging accommodations. Usually the biggest cost we are not able to recoup is airfare as we purchase the tickets as non-refundable/transferable and so in the event of not being able to travel, student is still responsible for that cost and then working with airline to use any credit available on future flights to be used within 1 year of initial purchase of ticket (specific policy and fees may vary depending on airline). For any and all additional costs, it will depend on the date of cancellation and if those costs can be refunded if canceled.

How many people go on the trips?

10-15 participants. 2 student trip leaders and one staff or faculty advisor.

Are they open to graduate and undergraduate students?


How can I be a trip leader?

You must be a past participant or have equivalent experience, have knowledge of an issue and the region, and have a demonstrated commitment to social justice.

How can I become a staff/faculty advisor?

Be in contact with the Leadership and Civic Engagement staff to express interest in serving as an advisor.

Is there financial aid or scholarships?

Yes, some funds are available through our office and a few other campus partners and alumni. Check the scholarship section of the ASB site for more information. Additionally, all groups are encouraged to fundraise to offset the cost of the trips.

Who will be leading the trip?

One or two student leaders and a staff/faculty advisor.

What immunizations do I need?

It has been Leadership and Civic Engagement ASB practice that anything recommended by our Student Health Center Travel Clinic, is required for travel in our programs. They are well equipped to take care of all your travel health needs. The Center for Disease Control website can help give you an idea of which immunizations you will need. Search for your destination country on the travel health page.

Are the trips safe?

Student leaders and faculty advisors work with Leadership and Civic Engagement to create a safe, educational, and service-oriented itinerary and curriculum for the trip. All travel, domestic and international, comes with a level of risk that students should be aware of. Students should research their destination and take all safety precautions necessary.

As an international student can I go on an Alternative Break Trip?

International students are very welcome to join an Alternative Service Break trip! Talk to the Office of International Services about travel requirements such as visa regulations.

When do the trips happen?

Fall, Winter, and Spring. Trips usually last for two weeks during winter break, 10 days for spring break and 4 days for our Fall Break.

I am an NC State alum. Can I go on a trip after I graduate from NC State?

No…not at this time. However, we are looking for medical professionals to travel with our health related teams.

Can non-NC State University students go?

No. You must be an enrolled NC State University student. However, we are looking for medical professionals to travel with our health related teams.

Can students with disabilities go on Alternative Breaks?

The Alternative Service Break program makes every effort to ensure that students with disabilities can participate successfully in Alternative Service Break programs. Please be aware that we cannot guarantee that facilities or support services will be available at each location abroad or domestically in the same range and quality as on the NC State University campus.

Can we do fundraising for our trip?

Yes, participants on trips can solicit funds from individuals or businesses. A great resource to use is <a class=”ext linkTargetBlankParent” title=”Link to http://www.gofundme.com/” href=”http://www.gofundme.com/” target=”_blank”>http://www.gofundme.com/</a>

Why are Alternative Service Breaks alcohol free?

Alternative Service Breaks were founded as an alternative to the typical spring break experience. Alcohol affects group dynamics, participant safety, the local community, the university, and the national alternative service break student movement. It is not a judgement call on the use of alcohol, but more of a realization that there is much work to be done in the world around us to help tackle many of our social justice issues.